Sunday, January 09, 2005

Mediocrity

Is it just me or has this year settled down in a new groove of nothingness and mediocrity again, i always tend to think that with a new year things will be different but in reality the more things change the more they seem to stay the same.

I'd resolved to give up smoking this year, and i have managed a sizeable reduction in my nicotine intake, although i put 30+ away yesterday but i was out on the beer all day so maybe that is acceptable. The gym is going well, been 3 times already this year, doing more and more time on the treadmill, did 3,000 metres on the treadmill last time out, and my dodgy knee felt fine after. Not really managed cutting down on the boozing yet although there has been a marked improvement in how much i drink at home. Most nights i enjoy sitting in front of the TV, or going on the computer drinking a couple of cans to unwind towards the end of the night, part of me thinks it might be alcoholism in a embryonic stage, however i tend to think that its just a sign that i like a beer at the end of the day and its not if i'm 3 big bottles of White Lightening in one sitting.

Saturday i went to the football which is normal, i drank quite a lot all day, smoked a lot, saw all the people i only see once a week when Sheffield United play, i enjoyed it, enjoyed a cracking game of football (which we won may i hasten to add), and it was a good day although in the end i ended up returning home slaughtered at about half past 12 and went straight to bed with my head feeling like it was in the early stages of a hangover. The majority of Saturdays have been like this.

Sunday is the same as ever as well. Get up with a hangover, go and fetch the papers and slouch around reading the sports news before getting in to the Sunday Times later on. I've not had a Sunday Dinner for ages and think i could do with one as well. I don't normally do anything at all on Sunday, it is a day without any serious boozing and there is nothing better than loafing about doing nothing.

On a slightly different note i'm back at work tomorrow after 3 months off sick with Stress and Anxiety and i really wonder how i will be when i go back to work. I needed the time off to be honest, i had a fortnight off when my Dad died and then i spent the next few months stressed out with that and a lot of other stuff and it came to the point where enough was enough. I had not allowed myself time to grieve, and owed it to myself and my employers to take the time off.

I went to see my boss Barney last week to sort a few bits and pieces out before i go back and to be honest i don't think i have a better boss. I think he saw the stress i had put myself under and i reckon he worried that i wasn't right to work at the time. Since i have been off he has been in regular contact with me, he called me a few times and arranged for me to go down and meet him for a bit of a chat every 2 or 3 weeks and he has seen the improvement in my general being.

Back to work tomorrow and i'm up at about half past 5 tomorrow and start back with 3 x 10 hour shifts. I feel kind of nervous about getting back to work, prehaps it is the first day back at school syndrome. I know there a few people who don't like me at work and a lot who do, but then again if someone doesn't like me then i'm not really bothered to be honest. After all we all go to work, turn up and just get on with our jobs.

I can't really think of much more to say, and i have been finding it hard to find something of note to put on here. I'm going through a phase of mediocrity but i'll settle for that at the minute.


No comments: